A successful project manager is responsible for projects deliveries on time, within budget and exceeding client expectations. He should have a very good understanding of the client’s needs and requirements.
- Project manager Role
- Project manager Skills
- Project manager Expertise
- Project manager Professional Certification
- Project manager Jobs
Project manager Role
A successful project manager is someone that always have the big picture in mind. He acts as the liaison person between all the various stakeholders. His role is crucial in the successful delivery of a project, making sure that all outputs are delivered on time, on budget and within the agreed level of quality. To be able to deliver successfully, a sense of urgency is recommended, as to optimize results with the given resources.
As today’s projects requirements are constantly changing and evolving, a successful project manager should be able to adapt quickly. A good approach is to use an agile methodology, which is a lot more flexible as opposed to a classical approach which tend to be more time consuming , rigid and bureaucratic. Not only using an agile methodology should help the team become more adaptable, but the project manager himself should take a more agile approach as well. This meaning, that he is able to do much more with less and be able to focus more on results. He should be able to follow a plan of action, but be able to adapt and create a new one if change is required.
A successful project manager is someone that manages processes and not the actual people. Each project member should know exactly what their responsibility is. In fact the project manager role is not to control the people but inspire them and make sure that together they achieve each milestones. He should play the role of the leader and have a facility to communicate his vision with his team, clients or others stakeholders. All his meetings and presentations should be clear and specific, with a precise action plan to be followed.
A successful project manager is someone that can take a complex project and divide it into a specific set of tasks which can be easily achieved by the various members of the team. Having a step by step approach, with precise milestones, will help the project completion and will make sure it is kept on track with systematic reviews and approvals.
Project manager responsibilities
The Project manager have the following responsibilities:
- Liaison person between the creative’s, technical and account department or client
- Negotiate scope, identify tasks
- Plan and estimate task duration and resource requirements, use of GANTT chart
- Schedules specify inter-task dependencies, critical path,
- Organize: assign resources
- Direct the team effort, monitor and control progress, timekeeping
- Assess project results and experiences.
- RISK management – manage unexpected events
- Use of Basecamp Online Project Management Software and other Web software including Google Docs and Gmail
- Use of Agile Development process (SCRUM, extreme programming)
Project manager Skills
As successful web manager need to have a wide array of skills from project management to technical with some creative and marketing expertise.
- Project management
- Content and Standards
Project management skill sets
The Project management skill set include effective communication, being highly adaptable in the face of change with a creative and innovative thinking and use of an agile methodology. It is also important to be process driven, and always look for system improvements.
Some key project management skills include:
- Creative/ innovative thinking
- Process orientated
- Use of Agile methodology
Business skill sets
The bbusiness skill set consist of being a good team player, being client focused, efficient and organized. I know how to take initiative and always manage projects to the highest possible standards.
Top 5 Business skill sets include:
- Good team player
- Client focused
- Goof Judgment and Dependability
- Initiative/ sense of Urgency
- High standards, efficient and organized
Technical skills include
As far as the technical skills are concerned it is important to have a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and be especially proficient in PowerPoint. It is also a key thing to have a good understanding of Internet technologies(HTML, CSS, JS, Flash, PHP, APIS’s), use of software tools (Dreamweaver) and Content management system (WordPress). It would be a bonus to have a good knowledge of internet marketing with such software as Google Adsense and Analytics. It is key to make sure the all web projects are compatible with web standards and best practices. Finally hands on experience with graphics software such with Photoshop, flash and fireworks can be beneficial.
Technical skills include
- MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Expert in PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Internet technologies and software (Dreamweaver, Web 2.0 )
- Content management system experience (WordPress)
- Web development : HTML, CSS, JS, Flash, PHP, Google APIS’s
- Google Adsense and Analytics
Creative Content and Standards
Finally a effective project manager should have strong English language skills for editing content.
- Graphics software experience with flash, fireworks and Photoshop
- Strong English language skills for editing content for grammar, spelling, context, etc.
- W3C web standards and best practices
- Good understanding of asset management business
Project manager Expertise
As successful project manager is responsible for the deliveries of projects on time, within budget and exceeding client expectation, as well as identifying and understanding the
clients’ needs and requirements. The projects bottom line should always be to add value to the clients business and make a positive impact. More precisely this mean delivering an end product that is on brief, meets the clients expectations, is user acceptance tested and ideally tested by an independent third-party so it is fit for purpose every time.
Learn more about project management expertise – click here.